Vaginismus is a condition where the muscles in the vagina involuntarily or consistently shrinks when they attempt to insert something inside the vagina. This condition prevents sexual intercourse or makes it a painful experience.
This will be experienced when:
- Partner tries to penetrate
- Woman inserts tampon
- Woman is touched near the vaginal area
Though it doesn’t hinder sexual arousal, it can hamper penetration. Sexual dysfunction can be experienced by both men and women and can easily be treated. But, it is important to realize that it’s not your fault and there’s nothing to be ashamed of.
This condition is usually reported to appear during late teen or young adulthood, when a woman may have sexual intercourse for the first time. But, some women may also develop this condition later in life.
Vaginismus may also interfere with your relationships and also affect your quality of life. Vaginismus has a wide range of treatments which are provided at the best fertility hospital in Chennai.
As per doctors from the best fertility hospitals in Chennai, it is difficult to diagnose the reason behind the condition. Vaginismus can be categorized into 2 types:-
- Primary Vaginismus: A condition in which vaginal penetration has never been achieved.
- Secondary Vaginismus: A condition where vaginal penetration has been achieved in the past, but is impossible at present. This may be due to a variety of factors including gynecological surgery, trauma, or radiation.
Vaginismus may be caused due to numerous underlying factors such as anxiety disorder, childbirth injuries, bladder infections, UTIs, prior surgery, etc.
But, don’t worry. There are various ways to treat the condition of vaginismus.
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR VAGINISMUS
Best fertility hospitals in Chennai offer numerous treatments for this condition. These include counselling, exercise, and education.
- SEX THERAPY AND COUNSELING: In counseling, the patient is educated by informing about the body’s anatomy, the process of sexual arousal, and intercourse. The doctor will provide information about the involved muscles in vaginismus.
The process of counseling may involve you individually or with your partner. Working with a sexual disorder specialist will be useful. Techniques of relaxation and hypnosis may be recommended to make you relaxed and help you feel at ease while having intercourse.
- VAGINAL DILATORS: Your doctor may also recommend the use of vaginal dilators supervised by a professional. These are cone-shaped dilators that are to be placed in the vagina. These dilators tend to get bigger with time which helps the vaginal muscles stretch and become flexible.
After completing your course of vaginal dilators treatment, you and your partner can have intercourse again without dilators.
- PHYSICAL THERAPY: If using vaginal dilators is a tough time for you, consult a physical therapist specialising in the pelvic organs.
LIVING WITH VAGINISMUS
Sexual disorders or dysfunctions such as vaginismus, can take a toll on the couple’s relationship. Being aware and proactive on getting treatment is crucial when it comes to saving a marriage or the relationship.
It’s time to realize that this is nothing to be ashamed of. Talking openly about this with your partner about your problems and fears regarding intercourse may also help you feel more relaxed.