Parenthood is a phase that every couple wishes to experience at least once in their lifetime. While some couples have a normal pregnancy and delivery, others may face complications and problems while conceiving. Over the years, healthcare has developed and found solutions to make the impossible, possible. Embracing pregnancy used to be a dream for infertile couples but now, everyone gets an equal chance to conceive. Thanks to the introduction of a wide range of infertility treatment services.
Two of the best infertility treatment in Chennai for infertile couples are: Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) and In-vitro Fertilization (IVF)
What are these treatments?
Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is a treatment in which a woman is expected to develop only 1 or 2 eggs. Sperms are then deposited inside the uterus giving a head start to natural fertilization.
In In-vitro Fertilization, women are kept on medications to develop multiple eggs. A woman is supposed to develop nearly 15 eggs which are then removed from the ovaries, fertilized, and developed in a laboratory which is later inserted into the uterus as a young embryo.
How does the treatment process differ?
- The treatment can be undertaken without any medication.
- If required, numerous different medications will be needed to develop and ovulate one or two eggs.
- On Day 14 of the IUI treatment, the sperm is deposited inside the uterus, thus completing the insemination process.
- Ten days of medication is prescribed to develop a large number of eggs.
- Once the eggs are developed, the eggs are removed from the ovaries and fertilized in the laboratory.
- After the eggs are fertilized outside the body, they are put into the uterus.
How do they tackle infertility?
Intrauterine Insemination: Intrauterine Insemination helps infertile couples in several ways:
- Egg Quality and Ovulation: Women can grow one or two eggs either through medication or naturally.
- Sperm Quality: IUI treatment is suggested to males who have sperms closer to the target.
- Ovulation: The eggs are retrieved from the uterus before ovulation.
- Tubal Issues: Eggs developed in the ovaries are later removed and developed as an embryo which is later put inside the uterus.
- Sperm (with ICSI): In the laboratory, the sperm is directly into the eggs.
- Uterine: The treatment assists in optimizing uterine receptivity and also the timing of the embryo transfer.
- Miscarriage: To avoid miscarriage, genetic testing, and reproductive immunology is done alongside In-vitro Fertilization.
- Egg Quality and Quantity: Many dosages of medications develop a large number of high-quality mature eggs.
How safe are these?
- Both the procedures are safe and involve minimal risks. Proper monitoring and medication are given to reduce any chances of risks and side effects.
- In-vitro Fertilization may require surgery and anesthesia, whereas Intrauterine Insemination may require none.
When is the treatment usually suggested?
Intrauterine Insemination: IUI is less invasive and is suggested to those who suffer from unexplained infertility. This treatment is suggested before IVF.
In-vitro Fertilization: This treatment is suggested when the problem is serious and the couple has faced multiple failed pregnancies.
How different are the costs of the two?
- Being the best infertility treatment in Chennai, the price of the two ranges on the factors.
- IUI is more affordable in comparison to IVF, whereas IVF is suggested to those who have zero chances of natural pregnancy.
Here’s a comparison between the two popular infertility treatments.